zum Inhalt springen

Blickle Kino at the Belvedere 21

Blickle Kino at the Belvedere 21 is today Vienna’s only intact cinema from the 1950s. The generous support of Ursula Blickle enabled the renovation of the cinema in 2012, which was also originally designed as part of the 1958 World Expo Pavilion in Brussels. The Blickle Kino now meets all of today’s cinematic standards and is organized into diverse programming series, for instance the Blickle Archive Series. The pivotal role is to promote public discussion between film and cinema as well as art and science. The Ursula Blickle Foundation and the Blickle Kino pursue the goal of placing contemporary films and videos in the context of both the history of film and of art, demonstrating correlations and showing the latest trends. The programme initiates debates about the history and future of motion pictures in the context of image and media culture in the twenty-first century. Filmmakers and curators are invited to present their works and put them up for discussions.

Actually, cinema is a great many things. It is the material place where we go to be entertained by a spectacle of shadows, although these shadows induce an emotion in us that is more secret than the one expressed by the condescending term entertainment. It is also the accumulation and sedimentation of those presences within us as their reality is erased and altered: the other cinema, which is recomposed by our memories and our words, and which, in the end, strongly differs from what was presented when it unspooled during projection. Cinema is also an ideological apparatus producing images that circulate in society, images in which the latter recognizes the present state of its types, its past legend or its imagined futures.” - Jacques Rancière